Let’s talk exercise!
Whether you are trying to get in shape or lose a couple of pounds, combining exercise AND diet is the best way to go. Only 10% of people succeed on diet alone when trying to lose weight but 90% succeed with BOTH diet and exercise. Here are some tips on how to get started and some general exercise guidelines. (Make sure you see your physician before starting any exercise program.)
How to get started!
- Make a goal and stick with it (I.e. I will workout three days a week, Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 6 pm)
- Record your exercise in your food journal so you can add up how many times a week you exercised or how calories you burned in a week
- Start slow! Nothing is worse that going full steam ahead your first day of working out. You will either get injured or be so sore you wont go to the gym the next day! Moderation is key!
- Aim for at least 3-6 days of cardio a week and 2-3 days of strength training per week
- If you are unsure on how to use the equipment, hire a personal trainer for a couple of sessions. Think of how much money you spend on fast food or coffee drinks. Use that money instead on your health! Your body will thank you.
- Choose a race to train for at ww.chicagoaa.com and click on race calendar
Try to burn at least 300-500 calories a day during exercise for weight loss
Exercises equivalent to 100 calories
- walking or running 1 mile
- biking for 20 minutes
- playing tennis for 30 minutes
- 15 minutes of an aerobics class
- Elliptical machine (arms and legs) for 15 minutes